Dunbar, WV Truck Accident Lawyers
Dunbar, WV is served by Interstate 64 (I-64), which creates a lot of commercial trucking traffic going through town and delivering products and supplies to destinations throughout the region.
Large tractor-trailers can weigh as much as 40 tons when they are fully loaded, and when they get into a crash with another vehicle or person, it can result in severe and often catastrophic injuries. Not surprisingly, the majority of those who are injured in truck accidents are occupants of the smaller vehicles that are involved.
If you or someone you love suffered an injury in a Dunbar, WV truck accident, you may be entitled to a significant amount of compensation. But recovering damages in cases like these is an uphill battle. Big rig accidents tend to be high-value cases, and trucking companies spend a lot of resources fighting these claims in hopes of minimizing their liability or evading responsibility altogether.
It is absolutely critical to obtain skilled legal counsel as soon as possible after a truck accident, because there are data recorders on the trucks that need to be downloaded as quickly as possible to confirm or refute the truck driver’s version of the events leading to the accident. Those recorders reveal speed and braking information which is vital to the investigation. It is also important to have your legal team in place quickly to get a trucking accident reconstruction expert to go the scene and perform an analysis and to inspect the truck involved.
At Bailey, Javins, and Carter L.C., we understand that trucking accident injuries can be devastating for victims and their families, and we are here to provide strong legal guidance and moral support during this difficult time. Our firm has a 50-year track record fighting for injury victims in Dunbar and communities throughout West Virginia. We are focused exclusively on personal injury and related areas of the law, and we have successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients.
Common Causes of Dunbar, WV Truck Accidents
Motorists should always be aware of semi-trucks when driving on major highways in West Virginia. And there are also some dangerous intersections in the Dunbar area to watch out for:
- I-64 and US 25
- US 25/Dunbar Ave and 10th Street
- Dunbar Toll Bridge and US 60/MacCorkle Avenue SW
- US 62/Washington St W and US 25/Seventh Avenue
There are several reasons that trucking accidents occur, some of the most common include:
- Speeding/Aggressive Driving: With ongoing supply chain problems and empty shelves at many supermarkets and retail shops, truck drivers are under enormous pressure these days to deliver their loads on time. This creates a strong temptation to cut corners by exceeding the speed limit and driving more aggressively.
- Drowsy Driving: Truckers are asked to put in a lot of hours during the week, and much of their driving occurs during evenings and overnights when there is less traffic on the road. Under these conditions, they are very susceptible to becoming fatigued or sleepy while behind the wheel.
- Distracted Driving: One way that some truck drivers try to stay alert during long trips is by interacting on their phones. But activities such as texting and watching videos are extremely dangerous because they take the driver’s focus completely away from the road.
- Improperly Loaded Trucks: A tractor-trailer that is loaded beyond the allowed weight limits or loaded unevenly is more likely to roll over or get flipped onto its side if the driver encounters adverse weather conditions such as heavy rains and strong winds.
- Vehicle Defects: Some Dunbar, WV area truck accidents occur because of problems with the semi-truck while they are out on the roadways. Examples include brake failures, computer dashboard malfunctions, and tire blowouts. These issues could result from negligent maintenance, a faulty vehicle part, or a combination of factors.
Pursuing a Trucking Accident Claim in Dunbar, WV
After someone is involved in a big rig accident, the first thing they should do is get medical attention. A collision with an 18-wheeler often results in severe injuries, and the sooner you get treated, the better your chances of making a full recovery.
Here is a short list of medical facilities in the Dunbar, WV area where you can go after a truck accident:
- Dunbar Medical Associates on Grosscup Ave in Dunbar
- Sunbridge Care & Rehab on Caldwell Ln in Dunbar
- Thomas Memorial Hospital on MacCorkle Ave SW in South Charleston
After you receive medical help, contact our office as soon as you can to get started on your legal claim. Truck accident cases are significantly more complicated than a standard car accident because of the numerous laws and regulations that govern the trucking industry. In addition, there are a number of potential factors that contribute to a crash and several parties that could be responsible.
As soon as we take your case, we go to work immediately to gather and preserve all of the critical evidence, so we can build the strongest possible claim. Our depth of experience with these types of cases allows us to adopt a holistic approach that includes exploring all potential legal avenues toward recovering maximum compensation.
We know what to look for, and we can quickly recognize when the other side is employing unethical (or in some cases outright illegal) tactics that are designed to damage your claim. We will not allow them to get away with any of this.
Our legal team will consider a number of different parties that could be held liable for your injuries, including:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company that employs the driver
- The owner or lessor of the truck
- The shipping company that loaded the truck
- The party responsible for maintaining the truck
- The manufacturer, supplier, or distributor of a defective vehicle part
- The party responsible for maintaining the roadways
We will pursue full and fair compensation from the responsible party (or parties). This includes compensation not only for direct monetary losses such as medical expenses and lost earnings; but also for non-economic losses such as pain and suffering and psychological distress.
Contact Our Skilled and Knowledgeable Dunbar, WV Truck Accident Lawyers
Get started on your trucking crash claim today by calling (800) 497-0234 or (800) 296-6979 or sending us an online message. We will provide a free consultation to fully assess your case and advise you of your legal rights and options, so you can make the most informed decision on how you wish to proceed.