Occupational Disease and Illness Lawyers
Because of the hard work we do in West Virginia, our jobs can sometimes damage our health to the point that we are no longer able to work. Unfortunately, workers’ compensation insurance companies routinely deny claims for occupational illnesses, regardless of how serious your health condition may be. At Bailey, Javins & Carter, L.C., our lawyers help injured and ill workers receive the disability benefits they are entitled to from workers’ compensation. We often represent coal miners, oil and gas workers, and timber cutters who have suffered debilitating illnesses from their work. Contact us for a free initial consultation at our Charleston, Logan or Summersville office. We also offer in-home consultations.
What Is an Occupational Disease?
An occupational disease is one that occurs as a result of exposure to dangerous chemicals or environmental conditions. This exposure may occur over a period of many years. Examples include:
- Lung diseases, such as black lung, silicosis and fibrosis, from working in coal mines and other hazardous settings
- Mesothelioma from exposure to asbestos in brake pads, boilers and other sources
- Hearing loss from exposure to explosions
- Histoplasmosis resulting from exposure to histoplasma capsulatum spores in bird and bat droppings
- Toxic encephalitis resulting from exposure to chemicals such as paint, paint thinners and solvents
- Cancer from exposure to chemicals such as benzene
- Reactive airway disease from exposure to diesel fuel or chemicals
- Carpal tunnel syndrome from repetitive motions performed on the job
As your lawyers, we will help you gather the evidence you need to prove that your work was a major contributory cause of your disease. If your exposure to toxic chemicals was caused by “deliberate intent” of your employer, we can help you obtain additional compensation through our civil justice system. An example of deliberate intent would be your employer forcing you to work without proper safety equipment.
We work on a contingency basis. We don’t get paid unless you do.
Free Initial Consultation With Our Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
Contact us to schedule a free consultation with our occupational disease and illness attorneys in Charleston, Logan or Summersville.